Join us on October 6th for this fast-paced, hands-on workshop! Bring a new song-inprogress that aims to “hit the mark” for a specific artist or genre, and get professional tips, techniques and feedback from hit songwriter and songwriting coach Alex Forbes and powerhouse recording artist and songwriter Valerie Ghent.
in this workshop you will:
• Take bold risks by escaping your songwriting comfort zone
• Challenge yourself to create unforgettable lyric-melody marriages
• Learn new tools to become more objective about your own work
• Courageously explore your emotional truth and big ideas
• Get professional feedback on your new song-in-progress
• Workshop will be in Manhattan on Saturday, Oct. 6th from noon to 5pm
• Limited to 16 participants, and it will fill up fast, so register soon!
• The workshop is free for ASCAP members, $100 for other songwriters
To register, CLICK HERE
One-day Intensive Workshop Opportunity presented by The ASCAP Foundation & Songwriter’s Beat
Is it time for your lyrics and music to take an exponential leap in quality?
• Are your songs-in-progress stalled, or in need of in-depth pro feedback?
• Want to practice the essential art of reworking your best Song Starts?
Join hit songwriter Alex Forbes and Songwriters Beat founder Valerie Ghent for this exciting workshop series.
Part 1: Saturday, Sept. 23, noon to 5pm
Part 2: Sunday, Nov. 12, noon to 5pm in NYC
In Part 1, each participant will present two works-in-progress, get detailed professional critiques, and meet new colleagues. Then everyone will return for Part 2 to perform their rewrites… or present completely new material
Workshop limited to 12 participants
Geared for Intermediate and Advanced Songwriters
Free for ASCAP Members
$100 for Non-Members
Thanks to the ASCAP Foundation!
We are thrilled to announce our first streaming Songwriter’s Beat,
with acclaimed performing songwriters Mary Lee Kortes, Steve Addabbo, Richard Barone & Valerie Ghent.
December 14, 2016 at 7pm
CLICK HERE FOR TIX
and listen via Concert Window!
4 Songwriters. New songs. Streaming live straight to your ears!
December 2016 is the 16th anniversary of Songwriter’s Beat.
Since our founding we have featured hundreds of songwriters, hundreds of new songs, bringing new songs to life and artists to new audiences.
Special thanks to The ASCAP Foundation.
Songwriters Beat – bringing new songs to life!
Rare opportunity! Register today for our master class with GRAMMY nominated producer Steve Addabbo – singer, songwriter, musician, producer, engineer, and studio ace extraordinaire.
WHAT: Making Records, Making Hits – Master Class w/ Steve Addabbo
WHEN: Saturday, Jan 28, 2017
WHERE: Shelter Island Sound
THE POWER OF SONG DYNAMICS
Crafting Unforgettable Melody-Lyric Marriages
Presented by the ASCAP Foundation & Valerie Ghent’s Songwriters’ Beat
A Breakthrough Song Workshop led by Alex Forbes
Join us for this fun fast-paced event on Saturday, July 30th, Noon to 5pm in Manhattan.
Bring a new Verse-Chorus Song-in-Progress for critique.
ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS…
• Are all your song’s elements working together to deliver “the goods”?
• Do you effectively “suck ’em in, build ’em up and pay ’em off”?
• Want to escape your “comfort zone” and take bigger, bolder risks?
TOPICS WILL INCLUDE:
• Passion and Power: A Breakthrough Song’s Most Essential Ingredients
• First Lines: Grab the Ear and Create Tension with Fresh Melody-Lyric Combinations
• Crafting a Pre-Chorus (or Not): Methods To Heighten Listeners’……. Anticipation
• Cool Contrasts: Melodic Shapes, Rhyme and Meter, Vocal Range, & Other Tricks
• The Ultimate Payoff: Ways To Unleash Primal Passions in Your Chorus
• Hooks Supreme, Hooks Galore: Massive, Memorable & More More More
• What Next?!: How To Keep Your Listeners From Clicking Away After Chorus 1
• Why Build a Bridge? How to Make the Most of this Golden Opportunity
• Chorus-Out: Pump Up Your Parting Shot and Make It Unforgettable
This workshop is First Come, First Served.
FREE for ASCAP members, $100 for others.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
This workshop is now full!
It filled so quickly we may offer The Power of Song Dynamics again later this year.
Watch this page & our Facebook Page for the next announcement!
ABOUT ALEX FORBES
With numerous Billboard-charting singles, over 120 releases, and gold and platinum albums to her name, Alex Forbes exudes a passion for both songwriting and nurturing the next generation of talent. She has led workshops and courses for NYU Steinhardt, The ASCAP Foundation, Gotham Writers’ Workshop, and many other songwriting organizations. Alex is the author of Write Songs Right Now, and she offers professional critiques and free resources for committed songwriters at her website, CreativeSongwriter.com.
This workshop made possible by support from The ASCAP Foundation.
Thank you ASCAP!
Songwriter’s Beat & the ASCAP Foundation present:
MUSIC CONNECTIONS/CULTURAL EXCHANGE:
CAMEROON & FRANCE IN NYC!
Bass Master Class
w/ Fred Doumbé & Sam Favreau
28 October 2015
Fred Doumbé – bass
Sam Favreau – bass
Pierre Sibille – keys
Franck Taieb – drums
Jerome Buigues – guitar
Valerie Ghent – vocals
Musicans Union Local 802
322 W. 48th Street NYC
RESERVE YOUR SEAT:
- How many songs start from the bass?
- Why does Cameroon bass makes Africa dance? From traditional lines to the Jazz approach…
- Can we say Blues comes from Africa?
- Fred Doumbé & Sam Favreau offer their views & best grooves on this fundamental, remarkable instrument
Space is limited – RSVP to email@example.com
Songwriter’s Beat/ASCAP production workshop with GRAMMY nominated producer Steve Addabbo
We’re delighted to offer the first of a new series of creative workshops in record production:
WHAT: Songwriter’s Beat/ASCAP Production Workshop w/ Steve Addabbo
WHEN: Saturday, Jan 24, 2015
WHERE: Shelter Island Sound
In this 3+ hour workshop, we will explore the process of bringing a song to a full production. Along the way we will discuss the process of working with an artist/writer from the initial demo stage through to the final mix of a master recording. We will dissect a finished mix and show the various stages a production goes through. Comparisons with old school analog techniques and the state of the art digital world will help illuminate what remains important in production, and what has and hasn’t changed. Workshop will be held in Continue reading
Songwriter’s Beat/ASCAP Song Accelerator Workshop with Alex Forbes!
Saturday, Dec 6, 2014
Join Songwriter’s Beat & hit songwriter Alex Forbes for this one-day workshop designed to kick your songwriting process into overdrive. Each participant will present 3 recent works-in-progress to the group and receive in-depth, practical insights about how to take them to the next level. Hosted by Valerie Ghent.
This is a great opportunity to:
• Put your best Song Starts on the fast track to completion
• Get valuable feedback in a rigorous-yet-supportive environment
• Meet colleagues & collaborators whose talents complement your own
• Gather referrals to professional studios, musicians, singers & producers
All committed songwriters welcome to apply! FREE for ASCAP members • $100 for non-ASCAP members
CLASS LIMITED TO 16 — APPLY NOW!
Thanks to The ASCAP Foundation – where music grows